Caneel Bay Backtime

Photo of Caneel Bay in 1941
Caneel Bay photo by Jack Delano 1941

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Photo of Caneel Bay Dock 1941
Caneel Bay Dock 1941 photo by Jack Delano

Caneel Bay
After slavery was abolished, the agriculturally oriented Caneel Bay plantation declined and reverted to cattle grazing and subsistence farming and was eventually purchased by the West India Company of St. Thomas.

During the 1930s, the company, appreciating the natural beauty of the bay, began to operate a modest resort building three cottages, a small commissary and a narrow wooden dock, after which five additional cottages were gradually added.

In the 1940s, the Trigo brothers from Puerto Rico acquired the property and constructed four more cottages bringing the total to twelve.

During this time the resort raised cows, chickens and goats to supply meat, milk and eggs. Horses were also available for transportation to Cruz Bay and for use by resort guests.

The Trigo Brothers listed the 500-acre property, along with its seven beautiful beaches and the profitable cottage colony for $75,000.

Describing, the Caneel Bay commissary in her 1960 book, Some True Tales and Legends about Caneel Bay, Charlotte Dean Stark wrote:

“In the thirties and forties, the housekeeping cottages were for rent, all except #8, which was the manager’s cottage. Everything but food was included – electricity from the Caneel Bay Power Plant, all furnishings, and a St. John maid. Food was bought at the commissary by the maid, or by the lady if she felt like choosing her own groceries. The commissary was described by one visiting cottager as a little country store. Natives from all over the island, as well as the dozen or more cottage guests, bought there, as did the half dozen continental families then living on St. John.

“There would sometimes be as many as twenty-five people all trying to buy at once. That was a crowd in those days.”

Virgin Islands News

Public Works Uncovers Historic Pre-Columbian Site on St. Thomas
By James Gardner — February 14, 2013

Archaeologists from all over the world could soon be descending on St. Thomas to explore a 2,000-year-old Pre-Columbian site found by the Department of Public Works while construction continued this week on the Rothschild Francis Square Enhancements project.

The site was discovered on Krondprindsens Gade (Main Street) between Strande and General Gades…. read more

Seaborne Expanding Service, Working with American Airlines
By Source Staff — February 13, 2013

Seaborne Airlines told customers this week that it has an “interline arrangement” with American Airlines that is part of its efforts to improve operations for connecting flights from St. Thomas and St. Croix to the mainland through Puerto Rico…. read more

St. John Weather

Partly cloudy with rain showers in the morning, then clear with rain showers
High of 79 degrees F
Winds from the NNW at 10 to 15 mph shifting to the East in the afternoon
Chance of rain 30%
Sunrise: 6:47 AM AST – Sunset: 6:19 PM AST
Water temperature: 82.9 degrees F

St. John Live Music Schedule – Thursday February 14

Banana Deck
Steel Pan by Lemuel Samuels
6:00 – 9:00
693-5055

Barefoot Cowboy Lounge
Erin Hart
7:00 – 9:00
201-1236

Castaways
James
9:00
777-3316

High Tide
Inner Vision
8:30
714-6169

Inn at Tamarind Court
To Mason & the Blues Buccaneers
7:00
776 6378

Miss Lucy’s
Jazz with Rich and Greg
6:00 – 9:00
693-5354

Morgan’s Mango
Mark Wallace
6:00 – 9:30
693-8141

Ocean Grill
Chris Carsel
6:30 – 9:00
693-3304

Rhumblines
Erin Hart
7:00 – 10:00

Skinny Legs
Lauren Jones Magnie
6:00
779 4982

Spyglass
James Milne
5:00 – 8:00
776-1100

See Weekly Schedule

Update me when site is updated